I have always felt like the world is too big for my 5 foot frame. I have spent a lot of my life dragging my step stool over in my kitchen to reach things in the top of my shelves (or just hopping up on the counter), stretching up as I high as I can at grocery stores for things on shelves, or mostly, asking Jeff to come reach something for me. Dresses and jeans are usually too long straight from the store, sofa's and chairs are so tall my feet don't touch the ground, and kitchen counters are way too high for my comfort. In the states I am noticeably shorter than most women--I've never really "fit" in that world. Welcome to SE Asia!
I actually FIT over here. Most of the women and a lot of the men are closer to my size and it has been fun to be in an elevator and look DOWN at faces, instead of the other way around. The kitchen counters and sinks are lower to the ground, the sofas and chairs allow my feet to touch the ground, and most things are low enough for me to reach them without stretching. Yay!! This was very obvious the other day when Jeff and I went to get a Thai massage and they have mats on the ground to lay on. I had never thought about how well I "fit" on the mat, but Jeff commented that if he laid where his head was on the mat his feet hung off. The massage therapist seemed to really struggle trying to figure out how to fit his length on that mat!
Bless his heart, he does NOT fit in a smaller world. Taxis are always cramped and way too small for his comfort. Chairs are too small and short in the back to be comfortable and forget about finding slacks that will be long enough or shoes his size. When I am out with him he gets stared at a lot! I think he just is so much bigger than most people he attracts attention and stands out.
I'm loving the fact I can find clothes that fit off the rack. And shoes, oh yeah! I always knew there was a world out there for people my size and I have finally found it.