I frequently travel to Singapore just to do shopping for items I can't get here in Malaysia. It is a quick over and back, so I can usually do it in 2-3 hours and not waste an entire day with the process. On Wednesday of last week I decided to do just that and told Jeff the driver would be back to take him to lunch by noon.
Let me back up and explain the immigration process. Since Singapore is another country we must fill out an immigration form each time we go there. At the border they scan your passport, tear off 1/2 of the form and put a stamp (or "chop" as they say) on the second half of your form and in your passport. The sign at the immigration counter says "make sure your passport has been chopped before leaving area". I USED to check my passport all the time when I went through to make sure this had been done, but since I go over so often I have become sloppy about it and don't really look that often to make sure they chopped me!
As we were coming back from Singapore I texted Jeff to say it was 10:50 and that we would be through immigration soon and after our driver dropped me at the house I would send him up to Jeff's office. Well we got to the Singapore side of immigration to come back to Malaysia and the woman at our counter couldn't find my chop from earlier in the morning. My 1/2 form was chopped and in the passport, but no passport chop itself. She looked for about 10 minutes, then handed it to ME to search and I couldn't find it either. I have had pages added to my passport twice since we have lived here (mostly because I travel to Singapore so often:) and it is pretty time consuming to go through each page and search for the one with the correct date. Finally she asked us to park over by the side and she walked me into the Immigration office. She handed my passport to one of the clerks and asked me to take a seat. No one said anything to me and I honestly didn't know how they would handle it, so I just sat quietly (hard for me) and about 20 minutes later she chopped my passport and said I could leave.
I got to thinking as I was sitting there that I really wasn't THAT worried about it and how far I have come in almost 2 years. Had this same thing happened right after we arrived in SE Asia I would have really been fretting that I would be stuck in Singapore, or they'd confiscate my passport, or SOMETHING horrible! Instead I kind of thought it was funny that I have become so complacent about the whole thing. Jeff is always saying that after living over here nobody can tell us anything because we have already seen and done it all. I think he is correct:)