Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Want to Go SHOPPING!!!

If you know me well at all, you know I love to shop. (My girls love this about me; we can shop for HOURS and never get tired.) I don't spend large amounts of money--I just enjoy the "hunt" of finding something at a REALLY good price that I really like. I have now found the perfect place to shop in Malaysia!
While eating out with some fellow "expats" about a month ago, they mentioned a mall called Holiday Plaza in Johor Buhru. They said it is THE place to buy "copy" purses, watches, etc, at a really good price. I was anxious to visit this mall before I came back to the states in March, wanting to "bear gifts" to my kids! This weekend we went for about 3 hours.
First of all, it is the oldest mall in Johor Buhru, so NOTHING like our malls in the states--very "Malaysian" and authentic to the area. (However, they DID have a McDonald's and KFC.) It seemed like every other store was offering to sell you DVDs, purses or watches.
My expat friend had described to me where "Uncle Joe's" purse shop was located. (Not his real name--used an alias to protect his identity and my connection.) She said this was the place she ALWAYS bought her "copy" purses and that he would give me a good price. So we follow her instructions and walk into a store to be greeted by Uncle Joe, himself, claiming my friend has already called and I would get very good price. (I'm guessing we looked so out of place in that environment, he knew who we were.) Already I am having fun!
So I start digging through purses, wallets and bags. Jeff knows this will take some time, so Uncle Joe takes him a few doors down to one of the DVD shops and leaves him. I go a little crazy with all the Coach, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Prada bags and wallets . I end up paying about $50 per purse and less than $10 for wallets. I KNOW!! So I am a happy camper at this point. Jeff has had similar success at the DVD shop. He tells me they take him around the corner of their shop, to a back room with an unmarked door. He goes in and finds a plethora of very current movie titles. He paid 5 ringgit per movie (about $1.35) and you get the 6th one free. What a bargain. He bought about 35 movies, since our choices on t.v. are extremely limited over here.
Next we seek out watches for the guys. We walk in this store and it has a wrap around glass case where there are many brands of watches, including Tag Heuer and Breitling. They were nice, but most had the larger face and Jeff was looking for a more traditional face. The man behind the counter says "you like Rolex?" and proceeds to take us a few steps to the rear of the small store, move stuff off a small, wooden trunk, pop the lid up and you are staring at about 60 men's and women's "Rolex" watches. OK, I already bought me a purse and matching wallet, so I am just along for the ride while Jeff buys watches. But then I think, hmmmm, maybe I DO want a new watch! So we start shopping and he comes up with watches for the guys and my new find. While the man is sizing them and Jeff is paying, the woman says "you need a purse"? She then goes to the back wall of the store and pushes an opening I hadn't even NOTICED before. The "opening" was about 4 feet high--I even had to duck to get through it! But once inside with her, I was surrounded by a small closet with about 6 shelves going straight to the ceiling, all full of purses. Some were the same as I had seen at the other store, but she had a really good selection of some that were new to me. I enjoyed looking, but decided that I would wait until my girls come over to visit and let them choose their next purse themselves. I'm hoping that will tempt them to come visit sooner!