Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Squirrel

Yesterday morning I was at the house alone, working in the kitchen. I kept hearing a scratching noise, but didn't think too much about it. There are a LOT of weird noises out here in the jungle! All of a sudden I see this squirrel pop it's head over a bench we have right off the kitchen. I'm not sure who was more surprised--me or the squirrel. I screamed (of course) although there was no one home to hear or care. Then I started banging the bench, thinking he might go back outside, however he came inside. Instead he starts running through the house (with me screaming, of course).
At this point I couldn't think of anything to do about this wild squirrel, sooooooo--I called our on-site security men!! They have a guard house at the front gate, and also make hourly drives around the entire property, stopping at each front gate to check on things. When the guard answered the phone I just told him I had a squirrel loose in my house and could they send someone to help me. He said, sure. (He was probably thinking, "REALLY, lady???")
While waiting on security I opened the front and back door thinking I could give him a wide berth to leave my home. By the time I caught sight of my animal friend again, he was headed out of the living room and up the stairs, so I follow him. The next thing I know, he is leaping over the edge of the stairs, scrambling through the house! This is where I lost him and the security guy shows up. We search the entire house, find no squirrel (I assume at this point that he has escaped out the door) and I look pretty much like a fool for calling the security guy to come "help" me. I really wished the squirrel would have hung around so this man could see for himself JUST how freaky it was to have a squirrel in the house. Maybe next time.