Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lunch at The Sticks

Jeff has talked repeatedly about a restaurant he eats at with customers and fellow employees, so today I had the privilege of getting to eat there for the first time. I don't know the "official" name, but everyone calls it "the sticks".
After a short drive through several "kampungs" or local Malaysian housing areas, we turned off the narrow 2-lane road to a smaller 1-lane road. After travelling over a rickety bridge we bumped along until we turned into a gravel parking lot. The restaurant is on stilts over the water, so you have to walk out a long foot bridge to eat. Now it would be a lovely walk if you had water beneath the bridge! But if the tide is out (like today) you are looking around you and see mud, several fishing boats (on mud), a fishing "house" on stilts (in the mud), and many forms of slimy sea life sliding in the mud. Hmmm. Great atmosphere.
The restaurant itself is an open-air platform with round tables and plastic chairs. There are tubs with fish and crab in them along one wall. It is Chinese owned and the food is very authentic Chinese. We had fried rice, sweet and sour prawn, sweet and sour chicken, steamed mixed vegetables and fish chips. Oh, a large pitcher of homemade orange juice. Everything was DELICIOUS!! I mean, the best Chinese food I have ever eaten. Jeff told me is was great, but he was underselling the place. So if you come visit I promise we will take you to the sticks for a "gourmet" meal.