Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mahjong

I have become friends with several women through the International Women's Association here in Malaysia. It has been such a wonderful treat to learn about cultures and get to know the life stories of these new friends. There is a smaller group that gets together on a regular basis to play Mahjong and they invited me to come play. It has been quite an adventure!
I was given about a dozen pages of instructions before I came to the first game day, but was told that it was best just to come observe a few sessions and pick up the details from that. Today was the third time I have played and it is coming together, slowly but surely. I still need a lot of "help" from the other players to figure out which "hand" I should try and achieve to win, but each time I play it gets a little easier. I still have a long way to go, but they all keep telling me that it has taken them a long time to learn all the little rules and tricks, so just be patient. They have been very patient with me!